Tuesday, October 14, 2014

The single most important truth about golf.

Here's one you might want to pass on to your buddies that mistakenly believe that everybody in the grill cares about how they played!



The single most important truth about golf
When I took up golf, not quite 25 years ago, I was embarrassed to swing a club in public. On the first tee one day, I hit my ball sideways, nearly killing a man on the putting green. I sliced so many balls into the woods that I seldom had trouble finding one of my own when I went into the woods to look for the one I had just put there. I clawed enormous divots from the fairways. I launched putts in improbable directions and wildly miscalculated distances. 

The more I played, though, the more I realized that I wasn't all that much worse than most of the other golfers I saw, and that even the ones who were much better than I was didn’t mind having me around as long as I didn’t hold them up. In fact, they scarcely seemed to notice me at all, so absorbed were they in their own struggles. As my friend Jim explained: "Nobody ever gave a shit about how anybody else played golf."


No comments: