Thursday, October 30, 2014

Gary Player: I Can Fix Tiger Woods In One Hour



Gary Player: I Can Fix Tiger Woods In One Hour
Published: Thursday, October 30, 2014 | 12:22:24 PM | Comments (2)


Tiger Woods and Gary Player practice before the 2009 Masters.

Tiger Woods still doesn’t have a new swing coach after parting ways with Sean Foley in late August. Here’s an unlikely choice for his new guru: 9-time major winner Gary Player.
In an interview with Graham Bensinger, Player said he would love to sit down with Woods for an hour, and that’s all the time he would need to fix Woods’ problems.

“Would I love to sit down with him for one hour and give him a piece of my knowledge,” Player said. “I can’t tell you what I’d say. But then I think he could win majors ... I’d talk to him quite a bit about the swing. He’s got flaws. There’s a reason. I reckon I could get those things across from him that could make a massive change because I’ve got the experience that it would take him at least another 40-50 years to get. I’ve got this in the bank! But you can’t go around volunteering to help everybody.”

That was the end of an answer to the question: “What do you think of Tiger?” Here's Player’s initial answer in full:

“Tiger is the most talented golfer that ever lived, without a question. Whether he’ll reach Jack Nicklaus’s majors is debatable, no one knows. Time will tell. I’m going to give you a very interesting scenario. If Tiger Woods once he had won the U.S. Open by 15 shots, if Tiger Woods never had a lesson from another pro in his life. And I’m not condemning those pros, some of them are pretty intelligent, Hank Haney and his other teachers, they’re pretty good. But Tiger was so good and so much better than anybody plays today. He could never hit the ball like Ben Hogan. Not even close. But that’s not what counts. It’s scoring, winning. Tiger Woods if he had never had another lesson, if he left what he had, he would have won 20, 22, 24 majors. But he’s also been unlucky. Three knee operations, a back operation, and a few other problems. So, will he come back as champion? I really hope so because the game needs Tiger Woods. It helps me. It helps golf manufactures. It helps young people in countries that aren’t all white. We need a black man to be a champion. Will he accomplish and become the best golfer ever? Only the Lord knows.”

No comments: