Thursday, July 23, 2015

Tiger Woods Future: Watson and Montgomery Disagree

Tiger Woods can return to the upper echelons of the game if he "develops a swing he can trust."
 tom watson on tiger woods
Woods, who turns 40 in December, has not won a tournament since August 2013 and missed his third cut of the season at the Open last week to slump to world number 258.
But eight-time major champion Watson, 65, reflected on his own struggle between 1988 and 1995 and said Woods can take a leaf out of his book.

"There is a very simple way back for Tiger," said Watson, speaking ahead of this week's Senior Open Championship at Sunningdale.

"He has got to develop a golf swing he trusts - bottom line."

Tiger Woods Open fallout: What they're saying

Watson almost won the Open at the age of 59 before losing in a play-off to Stewart Cink at Turnberry in 2009.

"I can reflect back to my career when my swing was in the tank," added Watson. "I was never really playing well, it was a struggle. I was just competing with my short game and just trying to make a score.

"Until I figured out my golf swing later in my life when I was 44 years old, the game was really tough. I went through nine years where I won just one tournament or something like that.

"After figuring it out, the game was easy. Tiger needs to find a swing that works and he trusts. It's there and it can be done. I did it."
colin montgomerie
Colin Montgomerie is hoping rather than expecting Tiger to return to form (Photo: Getty Images)
Colin Montgomerie, however, is not convinced the road to recovery will be so easy.

"It was difficult to see him with his head bowed at the Open Championship, really from his second shot onwards," said the eight-time Order of Merit champion.

"His next event major-wise is Whistling Straits and we know how difficult a test that is, so something would have to change dramatically over the next two weeks for him to be contending for that, which of course is what he wants to do.

"So that will be another major year out the way and another disappointing one for him unfortunately.

"Let's hope he gets back because he is A-list, he is box office. As a marketing man within the game, he is a fantastic asset to the world of golf, and has been.

"He can't come back all the time, otherwise Muhammad Ali would still be world champion. There has to be a break sometime but let's hope it's not yet."

No comments: