Thursday, July 23, 2015

Ball Position at Address

Are you one of those people that have been told your entire golfing life to play short irons toward the back of your stance, and move the ball forward as the club gets longer?

That never made sense to me because as the radius of the swing arc gets shorter, the bottom of the arc should only move in - my fascination with logic and how it applies to the golf swing.

I ran across this illustration the other day that makes my point.  Makes me feel better knowing that Ben Hogan came to the same conclusion that I did.

This is out of his book Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf and it shows you what really happens.

The ball doesn't move closer to the right foot - the right foot moves closer to the ball.

The golf swing is an exercise in logic - if this - then this.  If the ball is reacting this way, then this must be happening.



 

No comments: