Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The Secret To Playing Better Golf.



I Have The Secret!


I’m having a hard time here.  I just got another article where someone is going to reveal the “secret” to the short game.  It starts out with this, “This week we look at the secret to mastering your chipping”.

This brings me to the question – are golfers really so gullible that they actually believe that someone has the secret to any aspect of the golf game? 

The definition of the word secret is something kept from the knowledge of others or shared only confidentially with a few.  Does anyone really believe that there are facts or keys to good ball striking that are only known to an individual or elite group?  This is where my bull shit indicator goes over past full.  There are certain fundamentals that are involved in good ball striking that are common knowledge and those haven’t changed in my lifetime and I know they existed long before I was born.
  
I went to Google and this is just a few that came up on the first page!

The Secret of Golf - Simon & Schuster

3 Secrets Golf Pros Know That You Don't - Golf.com | Golf.com

When You Discover the 'Secret Six…' - Impact Zone Golf

Lynn Blake Explains The Secret of Golf - YouTube

Sean Foley: The Secret To Lower Scores : Golf Digest

I was particularly intrigued by the “Secret To Lower Scores”.  I pretty much believe the key to lower scores is hitting it the fairway more often, hitting on the green more often, and getting it in the hole quicker.  There, I gave you the secret for free.

The point of all this is to hopefully get people to understand that anytime someone offers you a secret, they are simply trying to scam you out of money.  It’s always about selling something, a magazine, a book, lessons, etc.

There is no magical training aid out there that will instantly transform your ball striking ability or give you an addition 25 yards off the tee.  There are a few good ones out there that have the potential to help you over time, but not overnight. 
 
I don’t care how many tour players they teach or have taught or if they are a Golf Digest Top 50 Instructor, They still don’t and can’t possibly have a secret.

The next time you hear or see the term “secret”, grab your wallet and run in the other direction.

No comments: